Experience with people from the severe mental health community has highlighted the need that some have for a structured process of Vocational Rehabilitation.For this reason, among our other projects, “Crazy about Gardening” has been implemented which aims to restore, acquire, and/or enhance the knowledge and skills that are necessary in a workplace.
It is intended for people with severe mental disorders of working age, who are motivated to work, have a stable psychopathological situation, and are attended to professionally.
The project will be carried out by EnPié Foundation volunteers expert in gardening, who will teach and account for the daily progress of 2 to 4 members.
The initiative will begin by working on the garden zones of the industrial area of Güimar.
The project objectives are:
- Encouraging the recovery or acquiring know-how on basic work habits, and the social and labor skills needed to properly access and perform in a workplace.
- Awakening vocational interests.
- Bringing personal skills and abilities to their attention.
- Providing members with the necessary skills to function effectively in a standard working environment.
- Motivating them to work.
- Providing the follow-up and support that each person might need.
Translation by Leigh Rogers, our new volunteer