At present our shores and its ecosystem are affected by the presence of ‘chapapote’ (a solid sludge mixture of oil and sediment) due to the malpractice of bilge tank cleaning of anchored ships.
Fortunately this practice has been totally prohibited for over the last 30 years.
Due to age the state of the substance is completely solid and looks like volcanic rock.
– Porís de Abona (quay or inlet between the beach and Poris lighthouse).
– Manual cleaning with shovels, pickaxes, sledge hammers, etc., of a ton of material per intervention (total 6 interventions).
Staff involved by action or work day:
– Two or three users with TMG
– Two or three volunteers
– Environmental representative
– City Council representative
– Ecological Group representative
– One or two guests